Saturday, September 12, 2020

A Dog's Eyes

 

A Tribute to the Poet, Mary Oliver (1935-2019), who saw God’s wonderful theatre with exceptional eyes and reported it to us in beautiful words.

And in recognition of our grand dogs, those furry ones whom God has provided as blessings to our children and grandchildren, offering their parents a window of love as only their eyes can speak.

Enjoy, and share with someone who knows what it is hear “I love you” in the eyes of a four-legged creature of God’s design.

Remember, God speaks in all of Creation, even, maybe especially, in the furry ones.

 

“The Sweetness of Dogs” (by Mary Oliver from Dog Songs)

 

What do you say, Percy? I am thinking

of sitting out on the sand to watch

the moon rise. It’s full tonight.

So we go

and the moon rises, so beautiful it

makes me shudder, makes me think about

time and space, makes me take

measure of myself: one iota

pondering heaven. Thus we sit, myself

thinking how grateful I am for the moon’s

perfect beauty and also, oh! how rich

it is to love the world. Percy, meanwhile,

leans against me and gazes up

into my face. As though I were just as wonderful

as the perfect moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment