Saturday, February 2, 2019

Ron Reagan, Religion and Hell


Ron Reagan (no, not the former President but his son) and I agree on some things.  We also disagree on some more important things.  But, following the lead of my theological ancestor, John Calvin, I am going to let positive thoughts about Ron dominate my thinking today.  Trying to find places we agree is always a better way through life.

Ron supports “Freedom From Religion.”  In a commercial for the organization, Ron encourages others to join in advocating for the U.S. Constitution’s guarantee of Freedom of Religion.  Do you see the difference?  I do advocate for Freedom of Religion. Freedom of Religion, right along with Freedom of Speech, made and keep America viable.  But, the Founders never anticipated that the government would guarantee freedom from religion.  The government is not here to protect atheists, like Ron, nor agnostics, from God-believers invoking God’s providential care.  Just like the government doesn’t protect me from atheists publicly denying my God exists. Can you agree with me on that, Ron?

The tag line of Ron’s commercial, delivered with a small smile (smirk?), tells us that he is “Ron Reagan. Life-long atheist. Not afraid of burning in Hell.” On this last point, Ron and I share a common belief. I am not afraid of burning in Hell either, Ron.  In fact, I am certain I am going to spend eternity with God (“Heaven”), not apart from God (“Hell”).  The Bible tells me so. (As does John Calvin.) Now, I don’t know if Ron is not afraid of burning in Hell because he doesn’t believe Hell exists, or because he doesn’t believe there is a God to be separated from. Maybe it is both.

This morning, at 3:00 a.m., I received an email with “????” as the subject line. The only message was 2 Peter 3:9, quoted below. I replied “Truth. Amen! Let’s talk.” Peter gives me Hope that neither Ron nor I will be separated from the love of God.  There’s time, Ron, for you and I to agree on even the more important things.

God isn’t late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn’t want anyone lost. He’s giving everyone space and time to change. (2 Peter 3:9, The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment