Saturday, January 16, 2016

Rejection or Hope Deferred?

I don’t handle rejection well. Sometimes I can see it coming, but it is still hard to accept the reality of not being wanted, of not realizing what I want. Sometimes I do not see it coming. That’s the worst, when my work, my plan, my personality, is rejected and it is a complete surprise to me.  I wait for an answer to my request, anticipating that this is exactly what God wants for me, but then the letter comes: Rejected.  This past week I was rummaging through some old papers in my endless effort to clean my mess in our basement and I found a rejection letter from several years ago. I don’t know why I saved it. I tried to re-read it, and it was oddly painful all over again.

Later that day I followed a Twitter link from Anne Lamott. (If you don’t know Anne Lamott’s work, find it. She is will really stir your thinking!) She provided a link  to a poem her pastor published, which ends like this:

“But I’ve found within another word, an eternal point of view.
It speaks of blessing; it speaks of truth:
‘Man’s rejection is God’s protection.’

 Mama used to say. So, I’ll incline my heart to this truth, empowered on my way.” (Rejection A poem about hopes deferred. Veronica R. Goines ©Presbyterian Church (USA), a corporation)


Rejection. Protection. You choose the word you want to keep in your heart.  It is one thing to say that God is watching over us, guiding us on the way. It is another thing to believe what we say when the wheels come flying off of our lives.  I know that when I look back on the letter I re-discovered that God was in fact protecting me from myself, if not others, when I was rejected.  The ensuing years since that rejection have been a blessing, a truth I treasure.  Do you harbor in your heart the pain of a past rejection? Are you struggling with a current rejection?  Pray today that God would open your eyes to see in it God’s protection; a hope deferred. Be empowered on your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment