Saturday, June 27, 2020

They Tell Me I am Old


    Even when I am old and gray,
    do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
    your mighty acts to all who are to come. Psalm 71:18

The government tells me that this coming week I will be officially old.  After about 50 years of paying into Social Security I am eligible to get my full share of it back. Because I am old and gray.

My body tells me that I am old too. A friend warned me that this was going to happen after I turned 60. I don’t know if it was a curse or a prophecy, but either way, it turned out to be true. I have problems in parts of my body I didn’t know existed before ‘the curse.’  The smell of menthol-infused rubbing solution has become my new daily cologne.  Because I am old and gray.

Even my words reveal that I am old.  I said to a man who told me he was feeling old at age 50, ‘Ah, still such a young man!’ I thought it odd when ‘old’ people used to say that to me. Now it’s me reminding people in their 50’s that they are entering the most productive decade of their lives.  I know this. Because I am old and gray.

The next generation tells me I am old when some young man might want to hear from me about how to stay married; some young woman might ask me about a secret to advancing her career; some child might like my ‘old man’ stories.  They ask me questions. Because I am old and gray.

I am not retiring, or letting my body keep me still, or letting my words stop flowing.  I will ask God to give me the wisdom and strength to keep on declaring God’s power. Because I am old and gray.

And to all of my readers in their 80’s, you are my new heroes, serving the Lord until the Lord says it’s time to come home. I want to be like you! Because you are old and gray. Thank God.





No comments:

Post a Comment