Saturday, April 6, 2019

Four 'Final' Lessons


For 19 years Tony Bennett has been striving to return to a Bennett-coached team mountain-top of college basketball: The Final Four, the holy grail of Division I Men’s Basketball. Today Tony enters that rarified air as head coach for the Virginia Cavaliers, following in the footsteps of his father, Dick, who did the same with the Wisconsin Badgers. I learned four lessons from watching these men reach the pinnacle of their respective careers, lessons which apply not just for coaches, but for all of life’s pursuits.

In 2018, Tony was the coach of the first number 1 seeded team to lose to a 16-seed. It was as embarrassing a sports performance as one can endure.  Now, in 2019, Tony and his team have gone to the top.  Lesson #1, a quote Tony uses: ‘If you learn to use it right, the adversity, it will buy you a ticket to a place you couldn't have gone any other way.’

Both Bennett-coached teams can be hard to watch. Why are they so ‘boring’? Because they coach a style of basketball which takes advantage of the talent their teams have rather than trying to copy the styles of teams with better athletes. Lesson #2: Be the best person God made you to be rather than try to be a poor imitation of someone else.

Laurel Bennett, Tony’s wife, captures Tony’s approach to life quoting his mantra: Lesson #3: “This is what I do. I’ll give it my best and I’ll live with it. But the other side of that coin is who I am, which is more important than what I do. And I am a child of God, and my values come from something other than my job.”

Tony, and his father before him, took a long and difficult road to the top of their profession. They won a lot; they lost a lot. They had as many critics as fans. But they believed the goal was worth it. Lesson #4: One day all of your life’s experiences will come together in a way that you dreamed, if you dare to dream God’s dreams for you.

Stay strong. Stay true.  Stay humble. Keep dreaming.
Sources: Jeff Potrykus, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel; 4.3.19; David Teel, www.dailypress.com; 4.5.19


No comments:

Post a Comment