Saturday, May 19, 2018

The Importance of Breathing In Baseball (and other pursuits)


When a rookie baseball player makes his Major League debut it is worth the watch.  Hitters can dazzle with a first-ever swing for a home run.  Fielders can make a highlight reel play.  But the MLB debut of a pitcher is really special.  No opposing hitter has yet seen his ‘stuff’, giving him little extra advantage.  But the nerves can get to the most hardened of players.  Which is why the advice given to Freddy Peralta by his Milwaukee Brewers Pitching Coach is priceless. Freddy describes his coach’s counsel like this:

"The pitching coach just told me to smile, breathe and pitch. So that was what I did." -- Peralta

Freddy Peralta, 21 years young, carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning of his 2018 debut and along the way he tallied 13 strikeouts. That is not good. It is great. It is elite-level pitching. Only five pitchers since 1908 (110 years!) have struck out at least 13 batters in a first start. See what happens when you apply the coach’s advice to your God-given talent?

As I listen to people relate the burdens and challenges of their lives I see that this coaching advice applies in most scenarios. The next crisis I confront I am going to try to channel ‘Freddy’ on the mound facing down All-Star hitters. “I can do this. Smile, breath, pitch; repeat.”  Perhaps Jesus was maybe the first to give this wise counsel. As he prepared to leave his friends and ascend to Heaven he told them to wait for the “breath’, the ‘wind’, for the Holy Spirit to appear. “You can be and build the Church I am leaving you to invent, but remember to let the Breath enter you first, and then, just breathe.” This is what Pentecost celebrates.

If you feel like this just cannot apply to you, then recall the promise that God’s Breath will create and renew you. (Ps. 104:30)  Or sing the last lines of this song of hope: “Out of breath, I am left hoping someday I'll breathe again/I'll breathe again, I'll breathe again, I'll breathe again, I'll breathe again, I'll breathe again, I'll breathe again” (Breath Again Songwriters: Sara Bareilles Breathe Again lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC)

Let the Breath enter you and you will conquer your opponent, you will achieve the victory.  Just smile, breathe, pitch.



No comments:

Post a Comment