Saturday, March 24, 2018

"Talk to You Soon, Jim"


“Jim died,” she said. “OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGod,”, I said.

I was in my study, preparing for a funeral. I picked up the phone and heard the unexpected news. News you don’t want to be true, but you know it must be. “Stunned”. I think that is the word. And your mind starts to race through what was said; what you planned to say; what was never said.

Jim was the leader of our congregation when they issued a call to me to be their pastor.  We became close friends in those first months.  Jim knew the people better than I knew them. He knew where the skeletons were hidden. He knew where the potholes and sinkholes were and he drove me around them. I serve today because of Jim’s guidance then. 

As the ‘ship’ we were given to steer righted itself we could focus less on staying afloat and more on sailing toward a goal.  We discussed the dreams of what God might be up to at Hope Church.  We talked about how exciting it was to be invited to see God revitalizing God’s church.  We dreamed and debated everything: moving, name changes, remodeling.  Jim was my ‘bellwether’ friend. He was ‘old school’ enough that I could test how the changes I planned would be received by the congregation, and he helped me find ways to make the changes which survived our debates less stressful and more acceptable. If I could persuade Jim on a plan, then it was a ‘go’.

As time went on, and we entered our ‘smooth sailing’ years, our conversations shifted to family and friends, to Packers and Badgers.  He tried out his theories of what the Bible really meant and we talked about how Jesus was all about invitation, not exclusion. Jim grew in the Spirit and in his love of people in beautiful ways. We shared secrets, sorrows and joys.  Our last conversation, one week ago today, happened as I was out for a walk.  Jim finished our talk by saying, “You go finish your walk.”  I said, “talk to you soon, Jim.”

Now my friend is suddenly gone. I want to have that next conversation I promised him. I want one more hug from Jim.  Soon. If there is someone you want to hug, do it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment