Saturday, June 25, 2016

A Butterfly Surprise


"Do caterpillars know they're going to be butterflies, or does God surprise them?" (Family Circus, Bil Keane, Feb. 23, 2007)


Last fall I watched the caterpillars crawling for safety.  It was a slow, long crawl to a destination I did not know. I don’t know if they did either.

This summer I saw the transformed butterflies in my backyard enjoying the plants. It appears their long crawl was successful.

I wonder what it was like that first day when they awoke to find themselves flying instead of crawling?

Was this a long-winter’s night dream come true or a shocking revelation?

So much of life is lived like a caterpillar crawling for food, for shelter, for security, for safety. 

But then, one day, or maybe several “one days”, we wake up and discover we have wings and we are doing things we only dreamed.

Whether we knew such a day was coming or not, it always has an element of complete surprise.  I can fly? I can fly!

May God grant you a butterfly surprise, my friends, sooner than you imagined, and not later than you need.  And may you remember to thank God for the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment