Saturday, May 7, 2016

Myra's Abiding Loves

On the evening of the day that Myra died I needed time to reflect. Time to reflect on what the life of this woman I loved meant to me. Time to ponder how it came that she defied every stereotype of “mother-in-law”, as we developed a unique relationship defined by our shared love of God, Jill and our families.  I turned to my usual companions on such a retreat: hymns and my Bible.  Well, if you know Myra, that sentence says it all.  We were soulmates. I turned on my Pandora music service and first up was a piano rendition of Amazing Grace, followed by When the Roll is Called Up Yonder.  Now who do you suppose selected that song sequence? Thanks for the confirmation, Myra.

I turned to my Bible, in which I keep a card from Myra sent for my birthday in 2006.  It bears the signature of “Space & Mare”, nicknames for Myra and her deceased husband, Roy.  Beneath her signature she wrote this:  Romans 5:1-2. This is the only Bible verse she ever quoted to me in writing. She read her Bible through, cover to cover, many times. I believe she chose to bequeath me this one verse, ten years before her death, as her message to her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, whom she loves so dearly, about the source of her abiding faith: Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  We are rejoicing with you, Myra.

Is it true that Myra and Roy and her loved ones, Mike, Helen, Carl, Nancy and all the rest are united again? It is a fair question.  I am as sure of it as I am of the fact that I am typing this sentence.  Experiences like the night Myra died, as I recalled her love of hymns, her love of absorbing God’s Word, confirm my faith.  These messages from above are God’s mystic sweet communion with those whose rest is won, a line from a hymn Myra and I would sing with gusto every chance we had.  Today I feel it, Myra.

As Myra lay dying I am confident that her brain was replaying from memory one last time the words to her favorite hymn: Abide with me: fast falls the eventide; The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide! When other helpers fail, and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, O abide with me./Hold thou Thy cross before my closing eyes; Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies: Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee; in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.  He heard you, Myra.


Thank you for the love, Myra. I love you too. I’ll be there soon. Say hello to everyone for me.  Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment