Saturday, December 1, 2012

"Rinse and Repeat"


“See You at the Top.” Do you recognize that saying?  If so, you are in the business of selling something, or you took a self-help class somewhere along the way, or maybe you are just widely and well-read.  The phrase is the title of a well-known motivational book written by Zig Ziglar in 1975. Mr. Ziglar died this week at the age of 86.  I never heard Mr. Ziglar speak nor did I read any of his works, but I am sure I was influenced by the “movement” he helped to create.  Maybe it was Dale Carnegie or Norman Vincent Peale, or maybe it was one of the disciples of this one of them, but someone made a set of cassette tapes with lectures on it, designed to listen to while driving.  There was a time in my life when I commuted 240 miles round trip, so I had lots of time to listen to tapes.  One of those tapes recommended the practice of starting each day saying positive things to yourself as you looked deep into your own eyes in the mirror.  This technique was the subject of a very funny Saturday Night Live skit (“I am good enough and smart enough and people like me.”)  But, even though the comics made fun of it, the technique worked, at least for me.  I do believe that the first step to succeeding in just about anything is persuading yourself that you can and you will succeed.  You can laugh at the skits, as I do, but if you try it , you will be laughing at the face of success.

A newspaper article about Mr. Ziglar explained how he came to his profession. As a door-to-door seller of cookware he motivated himself with the positive thinking affirmations of Dr. Peale.  But, before he  heard of Dr. Peale, his widowed mother had given her young son, Zig, regular positive sayings which grew out of her devout Christian faith, which sayings got them through the many struggles of the Depression era in which they lived.  The article concludes with a response that Mr. Ziglar gave to a question about the fact that much of his speaking and writing was repetitive.  His explanation was this, “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing-that’s why we recommend it daily.”  I don’t know what you are seeking in your life, but I do know you likely won’t find it unless you hunt for it every day.

If you desire change in your life start today by getting rid of one bad habit and starting one good habit.  Work at it every day for the rest of the year.  God works in us as we make room for God to work in our hearts and minds and spirits.  True success, bringing and finding peace in this life, can be yours, but you need to believe that first.  Start every day by reminding yourself that God’s “got your back and your front”.  Find a community of faith to offer you regular cleansing.  And then, I will see you at the Top!

No comments:

Post a Comment