Saturday, January 16, 2021

Oh Say Do You See?

 On April 3, 1968, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. preached this sermon:

Let us rise up tonight with a greater readiness. Let us stand with a greater determination. And let us move on in these powerful days, these days of challenge to make America what it ought to be. We have an opportunity to make America a better nation….

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And he's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the coming the glory of the coming of the Lord. (American Sermons (1999), Literary Classics of the United States, Inc. New York, N.Y.)Video: https://youtu.be/Oehry1JC9RkMountaintop” begins at 1:19)

On April 4, 1968, at age 39, the Rev. Dr. King died from an assassin’s bullet.

The vision which the Rev. Dr. King received from God is one which God still places before the eyes of all people of true faith. In light of that vision, can we, God’s people, summon up the courage to denounce hate and violence in all forms and to instead announce love to all people, regardless of their race or religion or politics?

Over the next five days, a fringe of haters, motivated by lies, loss and anger, threaten to rip apart the fabric of a nation which it has taken nearly 250 year to sew. We, God’s people, motivated by the vision of the ‘promised land’ defend against their hate with God’s love, for it remains true for all peace-loving people that, “We (still) have an opportunity to make America a better nation.”

Oh say do you see that vision, placed right before our very eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment